Urinary incontinence is a major health problem that requires long-term care. It may seem challenging to effectively manage this health problem. But if you are determined to improve the quality of your or a loved one’s life, it is possible. It may seem daunting at first but with patience and perseverance, successfully managing incontinence is quite possible. Incontinence Pants can become your best friends if you are suffering from urinary incontinence. They will keep you dry and stress-free from soiling your clothes and facing any embarrassing situation in your daily life.
Impact on Quality of Life
- Loss of self-esteem
- Decreased ability to maintain an independent lifestyle
- Increased dependence on caregivers for daily activities
- Avoidance of social activity and interaction, basically becoming socially recluse.
You can buy incontinence products online in Australia from Confidence Club. They deliver the products in discreet brown boxes so that no one knows what you’ve ordered.
- Medication side effects
- High impact exercise
- Surgical trauma
- Pelvic radiation or trauma
Factors Contributing to Urinary Incontinence
- Bowel Irregularities
- Faecal Impaction
But you must always remember that urinary incontinence can be treated even if the patient has dementia.
How Can You Prevent Incontinence?
To prevent urinary and bowel incontinence it is important that you:
- drink plenty of fluids especially water
- eat a high-fibre diet
- are physically active
- practice healthy toilet habits
- make healthy lifestyle choices.
Did You Know Drinking Fluids Can Help Prevent Incontinence?
Dehydration can cause constipation or bladder irritation. To prevent dehydration:
- Consume water to hydrate yourself instead of just quenching your thirst.
- Drink at least 2 litres (6 to 8 glasses) of fluid (preferably water) every day, unless advised otherwise by your medical practitioner.
- Drink more fluids during summers or even after heavy exercise.
- Take small sips and spread your fluid intake evenly throughout the day.
Although water is the best hydrating fluid, you can include fluids such as fruit juice, milk, soup, coffee, milk, and much more to fight dehydration. However, you must limit your daily intake of carbonated drinks, alcohol, and tea, and coffee to an extent as they can cause bladder irritation.
The colour of your urine is a good indicator to see if you are drinking enough fluids. If you are well hydrated your urine must be pale yellow in colour. Don’t worry about the first urine of the day, which is often more concentrated hence is of darker colour. Other than that urine that is dark yellow in color indicates that you have not had enough fluids. You must remember that few medicines, vitamins, and foods can also affect the colour of your urine.
Using Incontinence Pants can be of great help if you are suffering from urinary incontinence. Even if your fluid intake is high, incontinence products make sure you do not suffer any leak accidents ever.
- Delay the event – The aim here is to keep-under-control urge to use the washroom. The sufferer learns how to delay urination whenever there is an urge to go to the bathroom.
- Double voiding – This technique involves urinating, then waiting for a couple of minutes, then urinating again, and ultimately emptying the bladder.
- Bathroom timetable – Scheduling bathroom trips at set times during the day, for example, every 2 hours.
Bladder training can help incontinent patients gradually regain control over their bladder.
If you are worried about urinary incontinence, you must contact your medical practitioner. They will help you improve the quality of your life.